OBESEUS - A new type of DDOS protector

gordon b slater gordslater at ieee.org
Tue Mar 16 07:53:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 04:47 +0100, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:

> c) Its code is Open Source.
>
> http://www.loud-fat-bloke.co.uk/tools/obeseusvB.tar.gz
>

> My conclusion is that I give far more credit to Obeseus than to Arbor
> Networks.

Hmm, the "hey! it's open source!" factor doesn't hold much sway in the
network world, no-one will be amazed at that. Many observers are
surprised at the amount of free software employed by ISPs and the like,
but it's certainly no news to insiders.

Cisco, Arbor and others all have products based on Linux kernels and
BSDs, as only two examples. Sure, the "products" aren't open sourced,
but in a world where moving packets is the main business - what works,
goes.

(I'm a Beastie/Puffy/Tux proponent myself, so I'm not trying to
criticise your approach, just a comment on addressing the list.
Most of us here are either one of the following here:

1/ Open-Source users/converts
2/ FOSS users/converts (not the same thing as #1)
3/ "Originals" (eg: Vixie et.al.)
4/ BSD-style-license industrial users (some very big names involved,
quietly,  in this category)
5/ Quagga/Bird/OpenBGPd users
6/ MS-Windows-only people who happily SSH into various items of hardware
running various operating systems all day long without worrying about
it.
7/ a combination of all of the above and more

At the end of the day, I say it again - what works, goes

>Especially, where is Roland Dobbins ?

hey, careful, if you're looking for a fight we'll let Randy out of his
box, and you don't want to get that ;)

It's mainly (ie: intended to be...lol) an operational list, not a
theoretical discussion list. It's always good to have a different point
of view here, just don't bait the dogs so hard  =8^}

Gord
--
rockin ze NOC  ( mit MOC in a shell )