OBESEUS - A new type of DDOS protector

Guillaume FORTAINE gfortaine at live.com
Tue Mar 16 01:44:41 UTC 2010

Dear Mister Jain,

Thank you for your reply.

You are speaking about EDoS (Economic Denial of Sustainability). Please
see the following article :

http://www.rationalsurvivability.com/blog/?s=EDos

Consider a new take on an old problem based on ecommerce: Click-fraud. I
frame this new embodiment as something called EDoS — economic denial of
sustainability. Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks are blunt
force trauma. The goal, regardless of motive, is to overwhelm
infrastructure and remove from service a networked target by employing a
distributed number of attackers. An example of DDoS is where a
traditional botnet is activated to swarm/overwhelm an Internet connected
website using an asynchronous attack which makes the site unavailable
due to an exhaustion of resources (compute, network, or storage.)

EDoS attacks, however, are death by a thousand cuts. EDoS can also
utilize distributed attack sources as well as single entities, but works
by making legitimate web requests at volumes that may appear to be
“normal” but are done so to drive compute, network, and storage utility
billings in a cloud model abnormally high.

An example of EDoS as a variant of click fraud is where a botnet is
activated to visit a website whose income results from ecommerce
purchases. The requests are all legitimate but purchases are never made.
The vendor has to pay the cloud provider for increased elastic use of
resources but revenue is never recognized to offset them.

We have anti-DDoS capabilities today with tools that are quite mature.
DDoS is generally easy to spot given huge increases in traffic. EDoS
attacks are not necessarily easy to detect, because the instrumentation
and business logic is not present in most applications or stacks of
applications and infrastructure to provide the correlation between
“requests” and “ successful transactions.” In the example above,
increased requests may look like normal activity. Many customers do not
invest in this sort of integration and Cloud providers generally will
not have visibility into applications that they do not own.

Best Regards,

Guillaume FORTAINE