Network Naming Conventions

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon Mar 15 03:11:20 UTC 2010

> On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Paul Stewart <pstewart at nexicomgroup.net> wrote:
> > Yeah, just learning that... got a *tonne* of offline replies.
> >
> > Planets won't work well, simpson characters we'll run out very
> > quickly.... umm.. forgot the rest.  We were looking for something that
> > makes sense to the function of the box itself and scales up (as per some
> > other folks point)....
>
> With 726 episodes in 30 TV seasons and 11 feature films, it's very
> difficult to run out of Star Trek characters. Not main characters,
> though.

Not to mention all the books, etc.

Really, it's not hard to find precompiled lists of this sort of stuff.
One could start at someplace like http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Coruscant
for Star WARS (not Trek) stuff and probably scale up to a very large size
with all the names, places, planets, etc.

In the old days (pre-Web), it was actually a lot harder to come up with
a comprehensive naming scheme.

... JG