Inside plant 10G fiber specs?

Frank A. Coluccio frank at fttx.org
Mon Mar 15 01:05:51 UTC 2010

The massive deployments of FTTH around the globe (now tens of millions of end points per quarter) have been responsible for driving price points for singlemode optics down considerably, and it's only going to get a lot cheaper over time before bottoming out. Plan to the trajectory, not the history. OM3 & OM4  MMF will provide considerably greater reach than their forebears, but if you're looking to centralize servers and avoid myriad intermediate TRs and LAN rooms due to distance constrains along the way (cascading bottlenecks), then give singlemode a closer look. You may also want to give IEEE 10GE PON (ratified last year) some consideration, or <forsooth!> the ITU emerging variant of 10GPON for your desktop and lab areas, fwiw.

BR, Frank