Network Naming Conventions

ck ck at sandcastl.es
Sat Mar 13 18:53:46 UTC 2010

i believe in keeping host names as short as possible, so to start, i
wouldn't put the location in the hostname, but putting the loc/pop code in
dns (eg: sjc1.nexicom, tor1.nexicom, iad1.nexicom, etc), same goes for rtr,
you really dont need that, imo

personally, i prefer the shortest possible name

cr - core router
csw - core switch
br/tr/pr - border/transit/peer router

and prepending the interface id