YouTube AS36561 began announcing 1.0.0.0/8

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Mar 13 01:06:43 UTC 2010

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Joe Greco wrote:
> [something I didn't write]
>
> >> If 1.0.0.0/8 has been widely used as de-facto rfc1918 for many years,
> >> perhaps it is time to update rfc1918 to reflect this?
>
> I seem to recall that the WIANA project "decided" to use 1.0.0.0/8 for
> the "internal" network within their meshAP project...
>
> http://www.wiana.org/faq.php
>
> random data point from memory.

So:

I "decided" to use 5/8 for our internal networks because I felt that it
stretched my fingers too much to go all the way over to "1" and then over
to the other end of the top row to "0."  5 seemed a happier and easier
choice.

No, but really, what was your point again?  IANA should go around making
new Class A reservations or delegations to squatters?  If so, I really
*do* need to get busy and renumbering so I have a claim on 5/8....

:-)

... JG