YouTube AS36561 began announcing 1.0.0.0/8

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Mar 12 21:45:22 UTC 2010

> Axel Morawietz wrote:
> > Am 12.03.2010 17:03, schrieb Nathan:
> >> [...] Its
> >> amazing how prolific 1.x traffic is.
> >
> > one reason might also be, that at least T-Mobile Germany uses 1.2.3.*
> > for their proxies that deliver the content to mobile phones.
> > And I'm not sure what they are doing when they are going to receive this
> > route from external. ;)
>
> If 1.0.0.0/8 has been widely used as de-facto rfc1918 for many years,
> perhaps it is time to update rfc1918 to reflect this?

There's no way it's as widely used, and generally speaking, it appears
that those who have used it have done so out of ignorance and(/or?)
stupidity, sometimes blindly following documentation without
comprehending, etc.

It isn't clear that the Internet should give up a large chunk of address
space because some businesses made poor business choices.  After all, we
already allocated a bunch of private space for them to use.

... JG