FCC releases Internet speed test tool

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Fri Mar 12 19:43:11 UTC 2010

On 3/12/2010 13:22, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:
>

>> --- tme at americafree.tv wrote: From: Marshall Eubanks
>> <tme at americafree.tv>
>>
>> This might be useful to some. Article :
>> http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62B08720100312
>>
>> site :http://www.broadband.gov/
>>
>> It requires giving your address.
>>

>> Nah, no real address needed.  Just use 123 elm street abbeville
>> alabama 36310.  That's the first zip code I found on a site...
>> ;-)
>
> What they really need is something more or less like an accurate zip
> code, I suspect.  They want to find out what real "broadband" speeds
> are in different parts of the country.  Putting in a fake address
> renders your data useless.  One can ask why they aren't using IP
> geolocation; I suspect it's because it's not accurate enough.  Your
> address?  They may be interested in how many cable-feet you are from
> a CO, for DSL linkes.
>
> Now -- under the Privacy Act, if they're collecting addresses I
> believe they had to do a Privacy Impact Assessment.  Since I can't
> imagine why it would be classified, it should be publicly available.
> I don't see it, but I don't have time today to look for it.

They are supposed to pay their income taxes too.

Color me paranoid if you like, but I worry that if you play their game
and DON'T answer the questions accurately and honestly, you have set
yourself up for a bad ride for lying to an Official Government Agency.

--
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to
take everything you have."

Remember:  The Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs