FCC releases Internet speed test tool

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Mar 12 14:34:14 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, Joe Greco wrote:
> I've gotten strange stuff each time I've tried their tests.  I
> particularly like the factor of 10 difference in upload speeds.

The FCC is probably doing this because US providers generally don't
release actual bandwidth, speeds or latency numbers their consumer
customers get.  Advertised numbers often don't mean anything.  If
providers want to release better data, it might help the FCC understand
the current environment.

Some US providers have published data for their business customer
connections and backbones.