YouTube AS36561 began announcing 1.0.0.0/8

Nathan nathan at stonekitty.net
Fri Mar 12 06:52:54 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm hoping to alleviate the "what's going on!?" type messages here this time. :)

Here's an except from the APNIC provided LOA I provided to a couple
networks, to carry a new announcement...

"To whom it may concern,

APNIC and YouTube are cooperating in a project to investigate the
properties of unwanted traffic that is being sent to specific
destinations in the address block of 1.0.0.0/8. This address block has
been recently allocated to APNIC from the IANA, and
APNIC and YouTube are wanting to undertake this investigation prior to
the commencement of ordinary allocations.
Accordingly, APNIC authorizes AS36351 to periodically advertise a
route for 1.0.0.0/8 from now until 21 March 2010, and
requests that AS36351's peers and upstreams accept this as a
legitimate routing advertisement."

In a continuation of last weeks experiments... we are now announcing
1.0.0.0/8 instead of 1.1.1.0/24 and 1.2.3.0/24.

Cheers
,N (nathan at youtube.com - AS36561)