10GBase-t switch

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Mar 11 22:19:15 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:51:00 -0800
> From: Dave Temkin <davet1 at gmail.com>
>
> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:26:16 +0900
> >> From: Randy Bush <randy at psg.com>

> >> hot box.  but you are giving away the secret sauce!
> >>

> > Hot box for the datacenter, but small buffers make it unsuited for
> > long distances. In the right place, this box can't be beaten in the
> > price/performance realm.
> >

> Can you point to another 1U box that has more than 16MB per-port buffer?

I cannot. It's just that this is not enough buffer for longer distances
with multiple well loaded ports.

As I keep saying, this is the best price/performance box I have seen. I
am not criticizing it, just pointing out that it may not be the solution
to all purposes.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)