Filtered 6to4, what else to use (Re: IPv6 enabled carriers?)

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 21:08:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at unfix.org> wrote:

> TJ wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM, Chris Woodfield <rekoil at semihuman.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> To pile on in the spirit of "if people don't complain, nothing will
> change"
> >> - is VZB still insisting on filtering >/32 at their peers? While ARIN is
> >> allocating /40s and /48s directly?
> >>

> > I believe so ... will be even more impactful as LTE gets deployed.
> >
> > Another nit - They are also blocking Protocol41 on their EV-DO network.
> > While this is a 'noble, if poorly thought out, effort' to prevent IPv6
> from
> > impacting their cel phone users - it kind of messes up those of us who
> have
> > aircards (and got used to 6to4 for quick and dirty IPv6 connectivity).
>
> If you want quick&dirty then 6to4 is not going to help you in most cases
> anyway, as you are mostly landing behind a NAT, as such Teredo (miredo
> on non-windows boxes) is a way out and there is of course TSP which can
> run over TSP and AYIYA. For some magical reason I prefer the last ;)

In general, yes - but VZW's EV-DO (currently) always hands-out a public IP

> Also note that is it is their network, they can filter all they want,
> just like you do you in your own.

Sure, and ISPs that do this (too much) get bad press and lose customers ...

> (How did you btw determine that it is filtered, maybe the 6to4 packets
> are just not coming back from a broken relay somewhere, that is very
> hard to determine)

Because someone (who may have been employed by my employer) showed them that
cel phones were horrendously exposed (I am looking at you, Windows Mobile
devices) to IPv6 via Prot41 ... and their answer, rather than fix the
problem, was to just block Prot41 (whether this is an ACL or they black-hole
192.88.99.1 I don't care, they should (IMHO) stop).  Atleast that was what I
heard, and 6to4 currently fails - leading me to believe this to be the case.

(I also believe they are munging AAAAs queries or replies, but haven't taken
the time to poke into that or work around it as I just use less-quick and
less-dirty IPv6 connectivity - which may include the options you plugged :)
  )

--
/TJ