IP4 Space

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 18:16:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:00 PM, Daniel Senie <dts at senie.com> wrote:
> Well, it's like this... there's still no native IPv6 connectivity in most data centers, residences, >businesses or wireless, most vendors of networking equipment have not had a lot of mileage on >their IPv6 code if they even have it fully working, and, frankly, the IPv6 community has been >predicting a falling sky for so long that people just gave up listening. Add in a whole lot of other bits >of argument that just exasperate those dealing with today's problems, and it's pretty easy to >understand, if you've not been one of the ones pushing IPV6 for all these years, that there's a lot of >listener fatigue.

I fall into this category, but I'm trying to get better.  This may be
OT for this forum, but as someone whose network admin hat has mostly
been at the LAN/MAN level, I'm less concerned about IPv6 peering, etc.
then I am with what applications/servers don't play well with IPv6 and
how do I work around those issues.  Where does one go to find out how
organizations have switched their internal IT infrastructure to IPv6?
Does it make sense/work to do this for internal operations even if our
outside connections are IPv4 only (forget about tunneling).  Even more
mundane questions like how to deal with IPv4 only networked printers
when everything else is IPv6?

If anyone in the Boston metro area wants to present to the local
system administrators group
(www.bblisa.org) on why we should care (and more importantly what to
do) please contact me off list.   We're mostly a bunch of senior Unix
system administrator who are comfortable in our IPv4 world
and (I think) see IPv6 as a whole bunch of work to mostly get back to
where we already are.  We've all heard about the coming address
apocalypse, but it always seems somewhere in the distant future.

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad