ethernet to serial converters with ACLs

Henry Yen henry at AegisInfoSys.com
Thu Mar 11 12:34:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 15:17:53PM -0500, Michael Holstein wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a cheap Ethernet to Serial (RS232/422/485)
> converter with functionality like the Lantronix boxes .. except one that
> supports access lists (nothing complicated .. maybe a list of 5 approved
> hosts). I need a bunch of single port devices, not an access-server for
> a rack.
>
> I could build one out of a Pogoplug + USB/serial dongle .. (~$120 total)
> but would rather not re-invent the wheel.
>
> All the "secure" ones I see involve encrypting com port redirectors for
> the host PC .. I don't care about encrypting data in flight, I just want
> to restrict who can connect to the COM port on the other side of the IP
> device. It needs to work like the Lantronics ones do (take tcp/(port)
> and spit it out as rs232).

I may not understand your query, but I think the Perle IOLAN serial/terminal
ethernet mini-servers can do that.  They pop up on ebay in various shades
of slightly-used, for around $40.  Similar devices are Comtrol DeviceMasters,
which are less featureful (and even cheaper).

--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York