IP4 Space

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Thu Mar 11 00:40:37 UTC 2010

On 3/10/2010 05:06, Andy Koch wrote:

>>> acceptance    <--- My dual-stacked network and I are here.
>>>
>> So am I. But most IT people I talk to are still at the denial phase. And
>> there is not much one can do about it.

Denial, incredulity, and even anger have often been the reaction I get
from IT people when I bring up IPv4 exhaustion and IPv6.  I'm careful to
try to be "cool" about it too, trying not to be preachy or annoying
about it.

Some recent samples of IT people I talk to regularly in IRC:

> sam:  Basically. We've had ipv6 for how many years in the UNIX world
> and we STILL haven't switched yet ...
> Ken:   only Jim cares about IPv6
> sam:  15 years of hype and we might get to it in another 5
> sam:  Emphasis on might
> sam:  Everything I've installed in the last 2 years has ipv6 disabled
> Ken:   i finally got an email from comcast about my participating in
> their ipv6 trials ... haha ... TRIALS - they're still at least 2 years
> out i'm sure
I doubt I'm the only one who's run across these sorts of attitudes.  At
least Ken is willing to participate in the Comcast trial.  :)

IMHO, only personally experienced pain is going to push a lot of these
sorts of people into ipv6.  By pain, I mean things such as not being
able to deploy their new service (web site, email server, VPN box,
whatever) on the internet due to lack of ipv4 addresses, having to
implement double NAT, CGN/LSN, or being forced to live behind such an
arrangement ["what do you mean I can't port forward the port for my
favorite game/new service?!?!" (yes, I know some schemes will still
allow customer port forwards, but this will be made more difficult,
painful, since many users will now be sharing the same publics.)]

Once the "pain" hits, many will be doing crash courses in ipv6 and
rolling it out as quickly as they can.  I think it's just human nature.  :)

- Jim