ethernet to serial converters with ACLs

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Wed Mar 10 20:17:53 UTC 2010

Can anyone recommend a cheap Ethernet to Serial (RS232/422/485)
converter with functionality like the Lantronix boxes .. except one that
supports access lists (nothing complicated .. maybe a list of 5 approved
hosts). I need a bunch of single port devices, not an access-server for
a rack.

I could build one out of a Pogoplug + USB/serial dongle .. (~$120 total)
but would rather not re-invent the wheel.

All the "secure" ones I see involve encrypting com port redirectors for
the host PC .. I don't care about encrypting data in flight, I just want
to restrict who can connect to the COM port on the other side of the IP
device. It needs to work like the Lantronics ones do (take tcp/(port)
and spit it out as rs232).

Thanks,

Michael Holstein
Cleveland State University