CRS-3

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 10 07:15:30 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, David Conrad wrote:

> Anyone have any idea how much a fully configured CRS-3 would cost?  Or
> how much power it would consume?  Or how much heat it would generate?

Power is fairly easy, you need somewhere in the order of 14kW per rack (at
least you need to provision that much), and at 72 racks that's ~1 MW.

I'd imagine it'd be hard to get below an average cost of 50kUSD per slot
for MSC and PLIM and optics, so at 64*16 slots that's at least ~50
milllion USD.

> Or perhaps more interestingly, given the way things seem to be going,
> how many (tens of?) millions of RIB entries it'll allow?

Probably around there, yes, 10M RIB, 2-3M FIB.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se