CRS-3

Jake Khuon khuon at neebu.net
Wed Mar 10 00:10:26 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 18:45 -0500, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> Sent from my iPhone, please excuse any errors.
>
> On Mar 9, 2010, at 17:31, Jake Khuon <khuon at neebu.net> wrote:

> >> Cisco.
> >>
> >> Then why bother hyping at all?
> >>
> >> Anyone who needs even a significant fraction of 322 Tbps is not going
> >> to ignore competitors.
> >
> > Come now.  You know the answer to that.  While technically true, by
> > that
> > logic, Cisco should never perform any press releases.
>
> First, this wasn't a press release, this was an event they were hyping
> for quite a while.  Second, doing a press release is fine, but even
> the most aggressive companies have a modicum of truth in their releases.
>
> If they said "look at our cool new router", one could overlook obvious
> marketing BS like comparing to the T640 instead of the T1600.  But
> claiming to "revolutionize" the Internet while being afraid to compare
> yourself to your chief competitor's flagship product is just pathetic.

Again, that may be true but I think you give marketing in general more
credit for credibility than actually exists.  Pathetic or not, it
happens and some people don't actually see it for the blatant undertruth
that it is... especially those who have been blinded by the Cisco
"light".  We in this industry often forget that not everyone looks for
dotted T's and crossed I's when it comes to detail.  For whatever
reason, most people don't directly challenge the spindoctors.

--
/*=================[ Jake Khuon <khuon at NEEBU.Net> ]=================+
 | Packet Plumber, Network Engineers     /| / [~ [~ |) | | -------- |