PPP+RADIUS - routing subnets to end users - Framed-Route vs. Framed-IP-Netmask

George Carey george at montco.net
Mon Mar 8 23:33:32 UTC 2010

We've always considered the WAN and LAN to be different objects so our history is to prefer the method you think is 'better.' Seems this model has been around since the dialin days.

We also have customers with multiple routes so it seems a logical separation. Failover might be a bit more flexible too since you can control some parameters of the Framed Route.

I know some people use RFC1918 addresses for WAN which might be a factor (we do not).

Perhaps in some network strategies the lines between WAN and LAN may be a bit more blurred than ours.

George