Alcatel-Lucent

piotr sawicki piotr.sawicki.pl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:31:00 UTC 2010

Chris Wallace wrote:
> I am hoping to get some peoples opinions on Alcatel-Lucent routers.  We are looking at the 7750 SR line and the 7450 ESS line.  We are currently a Cisco shop but these would be deployed in a completely new network delivering mostly MPLS based services and DIA.  Any comments are welcome,  good and bad.
>
> ---Chris

Hello !!

First time on the list :)

I'd like to say something in opposite . These are very weak routers ..
We ( SP on country level , PL ) had two of them , implemented in core ,
as pure ip routers .
The worst thing in it was bgp proto .. Router was unable to withstand
20+ peering sessions , most of that outgoing bgp session to customers ,
a few peerings , and only 1v2 incoming upstream providers
When there was instability/surge in bgp updates , router was able to
break itself tcp sess. Dwnld bgp table (150,000prefix) took 2h or more ...
Things done in hardware should be working although ( bridge .. , maybe
label switching , vpls )  Tech support is very weak. Expect problems
with interoperability .
Sorry to say that  .   It was 3+ years time ago , maybe they improved
themself .. :)

If you want 2 spare chassis , we have them free
// best regards Piotr Sawicki .