SDSL vs T1 (was Locations with no good Internet)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sun Mar 7 10:58:52 UTC 2010

disconnected,
> wouldn't they release the address block for reuse by other customers
> just like any other ISP?

The government doesn't own IP addresses so there is no need to pass any
such laws.

I suppose it is completely legal to sever a transit agreement for
traffic with a provider but maintain a business relationship where you
pay them a fee for the use of the IP address space.

There have been several instances in my career where I have used
prefixes issued by a carrier that I never announced to them.  I was
using their IP space but the traffic to those addresses never went
through their network.  In some cases I have maintained a relationship
with them such as having a thin pipe where I might pay some small
monthly fee in order to retain the IP address space but simply paying
someone to allow you to keep IP addresses isn't beyond the realm of
possibility.