IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Mar 7 06:39:01 UTC 2010

On Mar 7, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Shon Elliott wrote:

> My first reply to this thread. I've been kind of tracking it.
>
> I would love to move to IPv6. However, the IPv6 addressing, I have to say, is
> really tough to remember and understand for most people. Where is a four number
> dotted quad was easy to remember, an IPv6 address.. not so much. I wished they
> had made that a little easier when they were drafting up the protocol specs.
> basically, you need technical knowledge to even understand how the IP address is
> split up. I wished ARIN would waive the fee for service provider's first block
> of IPv6 as well. It would help make the dual stack deployment easier.

I'm not sure how you think they could have.  128 bits is a really big number
no matter how you represent it.  For the most part, attempting to remember
IP addresses of either form is error-prone and ill-advised.

It's actually much easier to understand how an IPv6 address should be split
up than an IPv4 address.  The rules are virtually identical to IPv4, and the
recommendations are even easier to understand than the IPv4 rules.

Rule: A netmask is expressed as a / followed by the number of contiguous
bits at the MSB end of the number which comprise the network number. The
remaining bits at the LSB end of the number comprise the host address.

(Hint: This is the same rule as modern IPv4 and has largely the same mapping:

For example, a /8 is 0xff000000 in IPv4 and 0xff00000000000000000000000000 in IPv6.
(notice just more 0s to the right of the 0xff)
)

Recommendations:

End networks containing hosts should be /64.
End-User organizations of very small size should receive a /56, or, on request, a /48.
End-User organizations which are not very small should receive a /48, or, larger with
appropriate justification.
ISPs and LIRs should receive a /32, or, larger with appropriate justification.

Because IPv6 addresses are always represented in hex, it is even easier to match
up subnets to digits.  Each hex digit is exactly 4 bits. (In IPv4, every 1, 2, or 3
digits, separated by a . was 8 bits and required a not insignificant amount of
mental arithmetic to match an IP address and netmask to a prefix)

IPv6 netmasks which do not line up with nibble boundaries still require some
mental arithmetic, but, it is much much easier:

Mask Value (MV) = /xx
XX = Mask match portion of address.
yy... = Remainder of 64 MSb of address.
zz... = Host portion of /64

MV % 4	Mapping:
0	Full digit.	/0 = default
1	First bit	/1 = [0-7]yyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
			or   [8-f]yyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
2	Two bits	/2 = [0-3], [4-7], [8-b], or [c-f]...
3	Three bits	/3 = [0-1], [2-3], [4-5], [6-7], [8-9], [a-b], [c-d], or [e-f]...
0	Full digit	/4 = Xyyy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
1	First bit	/5 = X[0-7]yy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
			or   X[8-f]yy:yyyy:yyyy:yyyy:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
2	Two bits	/6 = X[0-3]yy, X[4-7]yy, X[8-b]yy, or X[c-f]yy...
etc.

Personally, I recommend the KISS approach and keeping the boundaries aligned
to the nibble wherever possible (/4, /8, /12, /16...)

> I know IPv4 is running out. I understand the situation. I just wished they had
> put a little more thought into the user experience side of the addressing. You
> can all flog me now if you want. I expect it. I'm green on IPv6. I would love
> the education if I am wrong.

I'm not trying to flog you. I'm trying to help you. If you have more questions,
feel free to email me off-list.

Owen