Alcatel-Lucent

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sun Mar 7 05:01:19 UTC 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:07 PM, Chris Wallace wrote:
> I am hoping to get some peoples opinions on Alcatel-Lucent routers.  We are looking at the 7750 SR line and the 7450 ESS line.  We are currently a Cisco shop but these would be deployed in a completely new network delivering mostly MPLS based services and DIA.  Any comments are welcome,  good and bad.

Unit functionality seems to be very good.  My experience with their support groups has been less than good.   Our sales rep and sales engineer are very helpful, as are the developers of the 7450 software I've been dealing with.   But their support team loves, outright LOVES to say "no" and they do it an awful lot.   "No" we don't support that, "no we never intend to support modern Solaris OS or patch levels", "no we won't support you in this config", etc.  As it turns out the developers of the software already have fixes for all the reported problems, have every intention and working patches to support modern Solaris releases, etc.

So my experience so far has been good product, good company, needs a real attitude adjustment in the support department.

--
Jo Rhett