IP4 Space

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Mar 6 22:46:28 UTC 2010

In message <4B92C9F7.4080301 at unwiredbb.com>, Shon Elliott writes:
> My first reply to this thread. I've been kind of tracking it.
>
> I would love to move to IPv6. However, the IPv6 addressing, I have to say, is
> really tough to remember and understand for most people. Where is a four numb
> er
> dotted quad was easy to remember, an IPv6 address.. not so much. I wished the
> had made that a little easier when they were drafting up the protocol specs.

Actually a lot of thought went into how to present 128 bit addresses and
the current format is actually easier and more compact than the alternatives.

> basically, you need technical knowledge to even understand how the IP address
>  is
> split up.

Actually IPv6 address are usually easier to split up than IPv4 addresses.
You can take the presentation format of a IPv6 address and work out the
host and network components without having to bit logic in your head.

Take this real address 2001:470:1f00:820:214:22ff:fed9:fbdc.
Its expanded form is 2001:0470:1f00:0820:0214:22ff:fed9:fbdc.
The network component is 2001:470:1f00:820::/64.
The host component it ::214:22ff:fed9:fbdc.

If it was from a /56 the site would be 2001:470:1f00:800::/56 and it would
be the 0x20 (32) subnet.
If it was from a /48 the site would be 2001:470:1f00::/48 and it would be in
the 0x820 (2080) subnet.

IPv6 addresses are big enough that one can put the break points on
nibble boundaries so that it is easy for the end user to work this
all out.  ISP's may get non-nibble break points but end users, unless
the ISP is being stupid, will not see them.

Compared with you have 192.223.8.96/27 IPv6 is easy.  Bigger but easier which
you will find once you actually work with IPv6 addresses.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org