SDSL vs T1 (was Locations with no good Internet)

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sat Mar 6 22:35:19 UTC 2010

Roy <r.engehausen at gmail.com> wrote:

> You missed an option.  Just change to another ISP.  I know of at least
> one AS701 address block still attached to a company that hasn't been
> their customer for ten years or so.

How is that possible?  AFAIK no local politician has passed an IP
address portability law yet.  If my circuit from VZB were disconnected,
wouldn't they release the address block for reuse by other customers
just like any other ISP?

I'm kinda guessing that you're suggesting that VZB's business practices
are lax and that I may slip through the cracks?  But there is no
guarantee of any kind, is there?  If they were to release/reuse my
address block like they would have every right to, what recourse could I
possibly have as a voluntarily disconnected customer?

And even if the block remained unused / not reassigned after I left VZB,
how could I possibly get it routed to me while connected through another
ISP?

I just don't get it - I don't see how this could be done without some
local politician passing an IP address portability law like has been
discussed recently.

MS