IP4 Space - the lie

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Mar 6 21:41:54 UTC 2010

In message <20100306184958.GA17785 at mx.ytti.net>, Saku Ytti writes:
> On (2010-03-06 10:07 -0800), Cameron Byrne wrote:
>
> > Folks are risking their business and their customers if they don't
> > have an IPv6 plan, and when i say IPv6 plan i mean IPv6-only.  This
> > list has already examined how polluted the remaining free IPv4 blocks
> > are ... and as others have pointed out, CGN will be an expensive and
> > poor QoE reality for those clinging to IPv4
>
> I'm personally afraid that EU+US companies may not see the risk. Majority
> of people in EU+US who want broadband and have purchase power for the
> services, should already have connectivity, as broadband penetration is
> somewhat complete.
>
> Companies offering products/services may view that implementing IPv6 will
> not bring them new business, but implementing it carries non-zero cost. And
> providing access to consumers who are not potential customers increases
> costs without increasing revenue.

Not implementing IPv6 will start to lose them business soon as they
won't be able to reach IPv6 only sites.  Not quite yet but soon.  While
all the services that there customers want to reach are available over
IPv4 they will be fine.  Once they are not they people will start to
leave for a competitor that does offer IPv6 access.

ISP's need to be asking themselves how much business are they willing to
lose before they deploy IPv6.  If they answer is "none" they should be
moving now.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org