Locations with no good Internet

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Mar 6 14:37:35 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 7:28 AM, Joel Snyder <Joel.Snyder at opus1.com> wrote:
> Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
>
>>Isn't this really an issue (political) with tariffed T1 prices rather
>>than a technical problem?
>
>>I was told that most T1s are provisioned over a DSLAM these days
>>anyways, and that the key difference between T1 and DSL was the SLA
>>(99.99% guarantee vs. "when we get it fixed").
>
> I don't know about anything other than Qwest-land in Arizona, but we are
> seeing the few T1s that are still in service provisioned as you described: a
> 2-wire DSL connection, although not out of a local DSLAM.
>
> Now, whether that's the same chassis with engineering
> over an uplink, or two separate chassis in the same
> road-side wart for the two different services,
> that's a deployment issue.

For a T1 it's a "smart jack" on each end (and often repeaters in the
middle) that have been engineered to run an HDSL signal between them
and a classic T1 signal "outward" from each end. One independent set
per T1; they aren't aggregated until after they're converted back to a
classic T1 signal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_interface_device#Smartjack
http://help.trixbox.com/Troubleshooting/What_is_a_Smart_Jack%3F

The major difference between using HDSL smart jacks and classic smart
jacks is that the HDSL ones don't need wire that's in quite as good
shape and they don't need repeaters between you and the CO as often.
They're still very much a T1 service.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004