IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Mar 5 21:48:31 UTC 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:44 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> If this is done right, direct assignment holders and ISPs are issued
> sufficiently large prefixes such that the prefix count per entity
> remains small.

This sort of assumes Internet connectivity models of today, specifically that most address assignments are singly-homed and thus can be aggregatedd within a larger provider independent block, will remain the model of tomorrow.  I have some skepticism this will be true.  When entertainment, communications, monitoring, etc. are all provided via always-on IP connectivity, I suspect you'll see folks have less tolerance for even momentary outages.  And that's not even considering mobility solutions that rely on the routing system (e.g., stuff like Boeing's Connexion (RIP)).

We'll see I suppose.

Regards,
-drc