BFD vs BGP timers

Jeff Saxe JSaxe at briworks.com
Fri Mar 5 21:45:57 UTC 2010

I've had no problems with it. We also have routers attached to
Ethernet (both our own switches and external Layer 1 or Layer 2
Ethernet private circuits), and we had similar problems of
uncomfortably long time-to-detection. Our routers were too old to run
BFD, and I'm not sure what the likelihood is for asking an outside
provider to perform BFD with us, so I just configured the BGP timers
to much smaller. I chose what I believe was the minimum on our Cisco
equipment at the time, keepalives every 10 seconds and die after 30
seconds. I have had no ill effects at all (no spurious BGP down/ups in
the middle of the night), and it has actually shortened the detection
time in one or maybe two unexpected failures, so I'd call it a success.

router bgp 22070
  timers bgp 10 30

This is global to the BGP process (i.e., all neighbors default), but
there also appears to be a "neighbor x.x.x.x timers" command that can
tweak it per neighbor. Note that you have to make the timers change in
a maintenance window; BGP timers are negotiated between peering
routers at the start of the BGP session, so changing the values might
result in closing and reestablishing all those peers. Also note that a
peer can declare a minimum acceptable hold time that they will accept
from you, so if you would prefer the session to die after 30 seconds,
but one of your peers says that's too short, I guess it's possible
that the BGP session would try to come up and fail, over and over.
None of our external peers objected when we set ourselves to 10 and 30.

We do have more modern routers now, so maybe I should get off my
behind and try BFD. I'm probably behind the curve here.

-- Jeff Saxe, Network Engineer
Blue Ridge InternetWorks, Charlottesville, VA
CCIE # 9376
434-817-0707 ext. 2024 (work)  /  434-882-3508 (cell)  /  JSaxe at briworks.com