Problem from Comcast Network to The Planet

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Mar 5 21:40:10 UTC 2010

On 3/5/10 1:33 PM, Zachary Frederick wrote:
> We have been having a problem emailing to a customer whose server is hosted by The Planet (http://www.theplanet.com/). Our mail server is hosted in-house on a comcast business connection.
>
> IP address of our server is: 173.13.45.23
>
> Customers mail server is: 69.93.203.243
>
> I cannot telnet to port 25 on their server, and they cannot telnet to port 25 on ours.
>
> If I try to connect to their mail server from a different network such as my home internet connection, I can connect.
> We do not do any firewalling that would block this in anyway. We were able to send and receive email to them when we used Qwest for our connection, before we switched to Comcast.
>
> Comcast has said the problem is not on their end because it times out at The Planet.
> The Planet doesn't have much interest in speaking with me, because I'm not their customer.

Have the recipient who is a The Planet customer open a case with them.

For what it's worth (not much, I know), it works from here.  Mail server
is likely behind a PIX with SMTP fixup enabled.

~ jay$ telnet 69.93.203.243 25
Trying 69.93.203.243...
Connected to mx.insurancewebsitebuilder.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - jay at impulse.net