FreeAxez raised flooring?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 5 18:54:42 UTC 2010

On Mar 6, 2010, at 2:41 AM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Not sure about the purpose of a raised floor if it doesn't create a plenum, but, the
>> step forward from raised-floor plenum is hot-aisle/cold-aisle which requires a good
>> bit more discipline in your datacenter, but, is substantially more efficient.
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> Hot-aisle/cold-aisle is a separate issue from a raised floor plenum.
> They're mutually supportive but not mutually dependent.

I've never seen anyone do hot asile/cold aisle using raised floor.

Overhead cabling has become the norm in most modern installations
and once you go to hot aisle/cold aisle, you no longer need the lower
plenum, so, while they can be mutually supportive, neither requires
the other, and, in practical modern usage, hot-aisle/cold-aisle usually
precludes the need for the additional expense of raised floor.

Absent the need for the expense of the raised floor, it's rarely
installed in my experience, thus making them mutually exclusive
for most practical terms.

Owen