IP4 Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 5 18:21:05 UTC 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 10:36 PM, David Conrad wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On Mar 4, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Mark Newton wrote:
>> On 05/03/2010, at 2:50 PM, David Conrad wrote:
>>> When the IPv4 free pool is exhausted, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll quickly find that reclaiming pretty much any IPv4 space will quickly become worth the effort.
>>
>> Only to the extent that the cost of IPv6 migration exceeds the cost
>> of recovering space.
>
> You're remembering to include the cost of migrating both sides, for all combinations of sides interested in communicating, right?  In some cases, that cost for one of those sides will be quite high.
>
>> There's sure to be an upper-bound on the cost of v4 space, limited by the
>> magnitude of effort required to do whatever you want to do without v4.
>
> The interesting question is at what point _can_ you do what you want without IPv4.  It seems obvious that that point will be after the IPv4 free pool is exhausted, and as such, allocated-but-not-efficiently-used addresses will likely become worth the effort to reclaim.

Ah, but, that assumes that the need is located in a similar part of the network
to the reclamation, or, that the point of reclamation can be sufficiently motivated
to do so by the money offered by the point of need.

I suspect the organizations that have excess space and know where it is are
likely to hold onto it as a hedge against their future needs, or, try to extract
a very high market premium for it.

Owen