IP4 Space - the lie

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Mar 5 18:11:49 UTC 2010

If I can try to re-rail the train of this discussion a bit...

1.	Yes, dual-stacking may require as many IPv4 addresses as IPv6
	addresses.  However, in this case, I was referring to dual-stacking
	as meaning adding IPv6 capabilities to your existing IPv4 hosts and
	infrastructure, thus, implying that the IPv4 addresses were already
	present on said hosts.

2.	If we dual-stack enough of the IPv4 network quickly (and it really
	isn't that hard, folks), then, adding IPv6-only hosts later really
	isn't nearly as bad as it is perceived today.  After all, the major
	drawback to adding an IPv6-only host today is that it can't
	reach all the IPv4-only servers it may want to get stuff from.
	If we dual-stack most or all of those servers (which already
	have IPv4 addresses on them now, so, no additional
	IPv4 depletion is required on that part), then, when we're
	out of IPv4 for new hosts, an IPv6-only host is not a
	uselessly crippled host.

Owen