FreeAxez raised flooring?

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Fri Mar 5 16:26:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Dorn Hetzel wrote:

> What is the purpose of raised flooring if it *doesn't *create a plenum?

...cabling?  (though I think working under a floor to route cables vs
overhead ladder is a pain..but mixing cabling AND air underfloor is much
worse)

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Jason Gurtz <jasongurtz at npumail.com> wrote:

>> How would cooling be done in this scenario?  Open air (with intake/exhaust
>> mixing) seems like a step backwards in terms of efficiency.

The usual methods of overhead (or possibly underfloor if you have enough
height) distribution:  Ductwork. :)

Feed cold air into your cold aisle, and depending on your density and
ceiling height use a general hot air return that pulls from the top of the
ceiling (likely the same way you're used to seeing it done for most raised
floor installs) OR drop additional hot air returns right over your hot
aisles.

Further hot/cold seperation is entirely possible, too, to support higher
densities...

Personally I'm not a fan of using raised floor for a cold air plenum for
reasons I'm not inclined to go into right now. :)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html