IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 5 15:55:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On 03/05/2010 05:24 AM, William Herrin wrote:
>> Joel made a remarkable assertion
>> that non-aggregable assignments to end users, the ones still needed
>> for multihoming, would go down under IPv6.
>
> A couple of months ago my then employer went to arin to get a direct v6
> assignmentment. on the basis of the number of pops the resulting
> assignment was a /43. It'll be a while I imagine before another prefix
> is required.

Ah, I follow your reasoning. I'll be interested to learn whether the
numbers agree. ARIN staff has reported before that the vast majority
of IPv4 end user assignments go to organizations which do not
subsequently return for additional assignments. In general it's the
ISPs who come back for more allocations... I wonder if the minority of
end-user orgs who do request additional space request enough
additional blocks to make a difference in the routing tables.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004