IP4 Space

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Mar 5 04:20:54 UTC 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 9:41 PM, Thomas Magill wrote:
>> The most we could achieve would be to extend IPv4 freepool lifespan
>> by roughly 26 days. Given the amount of effort sqeezing useful
>> addresses out of such a conversion would require, I proffer that
>> such effort is better spent moving towards IPv6 dual stack on your
>> networks.
>
> A /8 sounded like a decent amount until you put it that way.  Nice
> empirical data, even though its based completely on assumptions.  But if
> it is even in the ballpark.. It is pretty obvious it isn't worth the
> effort.

When the IPv4 free pool is exhausted, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll quickly find that reclaiming pretty much any IPv4 space will quickly become worth the effort.

Extrapolations of current IPv4 address space consumption become precisely useless when the existing policy regimes no longer apply.

This is not to say folks shouldn't be aggressively pursuing IPv6 deployment, merely that there is a vast installed base that will continue to require IPv4 addresses even after the RIRs allocate the last block they control.

Regards,
-drc