IP4 Space

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Mar 5 03:05:43 UTC 2010

On 2010.03.04 20:55, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Folks, I know that IPv4 is down to bread crumbs.
>
> That's why I'm ready for IPv6 and hopefully the rest of you are or will be soon.
>
> However, let's consider how much address space is saved by going from /30 to /31
> on every point-to-point link in the internet...
>
> Let's assume that there are ~1 million routers on the internet with an average of 8
> point to point interfaces. (I think there are probably more like 1/4 million and the
> average is probably more like 2, but, absent real numbers, I'll be uber-conservative).
>
> 8 million /30s is 32 million IPs, or, 2 /8s world-wide.
> 8 million /31s is 16 million IPs, or, 1 /8 world-wide.
>
> We burn roughly 14 /8s per year in new allocations and assignments.
>
> So, assuming:
> 	1.	There are actually 8 million point to point links in the internet
> 	2.	All of them are currently /30s
> 	3.	Absolutely optimum use of addresses for all those links
> 	4.	All of them are converted to /31s
>
> (none of these assumptions is likely in fact)
>
> The most we could achieve would be to extend IPv4 freepool lifespan
> by roughly 26 days. Given the amount of effort sqeezing useful
> addresses out of such a conversion would require, I proffer that
> such effort is better spent moving towards IPv6 dual stack on your
> networks.

Owen, thanks for this picturesque description. Whoever recommended the
FAQ, add this equation into it.

I *wholeheartedly* agree with Owen's assessment. Even spending time
trying to calculate a rebuttal to his numbers is better spent moving
toward dual-stack ;)

Nice.

Steve

ps. and I'm just tiny. I just enjoy seeing reports of the big boys
moving forward, and watching my v6 routing table grow...