IP4 Space

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 5 02:35:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:55:26 +0800, Owen DeLong said:
> So, assuming:
> 	1.	There are actually 8 million point to point links in the internet
> 	2.	All of them are currently /30s
> 	3.	Absolutely optimum use of addresses for all those links
> 	4.	All of them are converted to /31s
>
> (none of these assumptions is likely in fact)

In particular, if your site has 256 PTP links, you can convert from /30s to /
31s, save 128 IPs, but then trying to *actually use them* effectively outside
your AS ends up sounding like this:

"Eat your Brussel sprouts. Don't you know there's kids starving in Africa"
"OK, you can send my sprouts to them..."

:)