Cisco hardware question

Brian Feeny bfeeny at mac.com
Fri Mar 5 01:25:56 UTC 2010

On most transactions, good reputable cisco partners are making about 3% on the front end.  Most good partners make their money off services, and they hire highly trained engineers to deliver projects.  Cisco hardware is like any other retail business, there is not deep margins.  So trying to get 38% off from CDW vs. taking 37% off from the hometown team you can trust, meet face to face with, talk to the "boss" if you need to......its just not worth it.

This same thing holds true with network operators to some extent.  Some of the best businesses to goto for good support, colocation, transit, etc. Are you mid tier guys with highly clued staff and the need to deliver good service in order to stay competitive.

Brian