Cisco hardware question

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Mar 5 00:02:14 UTC 2010

--- afx66 at hotmail.com wrote:
B) What Cisco reps could NOT explain was the existence of a number of FSCK000#.REC files on these appliances. To be more specific each of ASAs in question contains 4 extra files: FSCK0000.REC, FSCK0001.REC, FSCK0002.REC, FSCK0003.REC). I said 'extra' because I asked the Cisco reps on phone to provide me a complete list of files that should exist on a brand new ASA, and the 4 files above were not part of the list and I think even they got confused when I mentioned the existence of these files.

I could not find much info on these files, but a simple Google search indicates that these files may be 'recovery files' of Disks operating under Unix/Linux/BSD/etc /... kernel, indicating a dying hard drive. That would be enough to freak me out! Anyone can confirm this?

[...]

I would greatly appreciate any input, especially on B)

Send the files to a *nix box and run it through "strings".

scott