IP4 Space

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Mar 4 19:30:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Thomas Magill
<tmagill at providecommerce.com> wrote:
> 1.        Why don't providers use /31 addresses for P2P links?  This
> works fine per rfc 3021 but nobody seems to believe it or use it.  Are
> there any major manufacturers out there that do not support it?

Because those who want to hyper-optimize use a /32 loopback address on
each router instead and rely on SNMP instead of Ping to determine
whether an interface is up.

> 2.       Longer than /24 prefixes in global BGP table.  The most obvious
> answer is that some hardware may not handle it...

That's the most obvious answer?

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> handling the v6 table is not currently hard (~2600 prefixes) while long
> term the temptation to do TE is roughly that same in v6 as in v4, the
> prospect of having a bunch of non-aggregatable direct assignments should
> be much lower...

Because we expect far fewer end users to multihome tomorrow than do today?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004