IP4 Space

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Mar 4 19:03:12 UTC 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 1:52 PM, Thomas Magill wrote:

> 1.        Why don't providers use /31 addresses for P2P links?  This
> works fine per rfc 3021 but nobody seems to believe it or use it.  Are
> there any major manufacturers out there that do not support it?

Some vendors inconsistently support these on ethernet-framed interfaces and randomly break their code [again].

The one I am aware of is located on Tasman, and YMMV varies depending on what line of business synced code from whom and when.

Nothing like upgrading a minor patch revision of software and losing your infrastructure link....

- Jared