Alaska IXP?

Marty Anstey marty.anstey at sunwave.net
Thu Mar 4 18:02:49 UTC 2010

Joe Abley wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, at 18:51, Bill Woodcock wrote:
>

>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 3:13 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any common locations in Alaska where multiple local ISPs exchange traffic, either transit or peering?  Or is Seattle the closest exchange point for Alaska ISPs?
>>>
>> PCH doesn't know of any.  If any exist, we'd very much like to hear about it.  Vancouver BC may technically be closer than Seattle, but that's not a significant answer.
>>

> Seattle is the closest practical peering point to Vancouver too, as far as I know, outside of academic/federal networks.
>

> Joe

We have the PIX in Vancouver. However, you are correct in that most
players in Vancouver also peer in Seattle so the point is moot.

Maybe someone can correct me on this, but I don't know of any direct
connectivity between Alaska and Vancouver - whereas with Seattle there
is. In terms of connectivity, Seattle sounds like your best option.

-M