Alaska IXP?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Mar 4 17:13:12 UTC 2010

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:41:38 CST, Aaron Wendel said:
> We have very similar issues in Kansas City.  A couple years ago we set up a
> local exchange point but it's had issues gaining traction due to a lack of
> understanding more than anything else.  In these smaller markets people have
> a hard time understanding how connecting to a competitor benefits them.

Does anybody have some numbers they're able to share?  In the "two small ISPs
in the boonies" scenario, *is* there enough cross traffic to make an
interconnect worth it? (I'd expect that gaming/IM/email across town to a friend
on The Other ISP would dominate here?) Or are both competitors too busy
carrying customer traffic to the same sites elsewhere (google, youtube, amazon,
etc)?  Phrased differently, how big/small a cross-connect is worth the effort?