[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 3 01:30:16 UTC 2010

On Mar 3, 2010, at 6:38 AM, Leen Besselink wrote:

>>> Not comparing this to the former-DDR or Chinese situation (please refer
>>> to my tin-foil remark above) a per-country specific prefix is not
>>> necessarily a bad thing and may even have an upside.
>>>

>> Care to explain what that could possibly be? (I simply don't see an
>> upside to making it easy to censor the internet by national identity).
>>

> Maintenance of "GeoIP"-databases becomes easier and less error-prone ?

Um, you say that like it's a good thing.

> Possible less out of date because of it.

True.

> We've seen complaints about those many times on this list.

Yes, geolocation by IP is a fundamentally broken idea and process.
That's, frankly, a good thing in my opinion.

However, ignoring all of that for a moment, what makes you assume
that CIRs would only delegate prefixes within their own nation under
this scheme? I suspect several countries will likely be happy to sell
or rent address space to the highest bidder.

Owen