[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 22:46:46 UTC 2010

>> Care to explain what that could possibly be? (I simply don't see an
>> upside to making it easy to censor the internet by national identity).
>
> Maintenance of "GeoIP"-databases becomes easier and less error-prone ?
>
> Possible less out of date because of it.
>
> We've seen complaints about those many times on this list.

There are much better ways to handle geolocation than reconfiguring
the structure of the IP address space.  See also:
<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/geopriv/>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-http-location-delivery>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-lis-discovery>
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-geopriv-held-identity-extensions>

Regardless of the technical merits of those specific protocols, which
have been debated here and elsewhere, geolocation is an
application-layer concept, and shouldn't be forced down onto the
network layer.

--Richard