[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Mar 1 21:30:24 UTC 2010

> Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:55:43 +0100
> From: Adam Waite <awaite at tuenti.com>
>

> > Hm, I was under the impression that ARPANET was a government run
> > network...
> >

> Not since 1992......what you're looking for these days is NIPRnet and
> SIPRnet, and ESnet, etc, etc, etc.

While ESnet is funded by the Department of Energy and they certainly
define the strategic policy of ESnet, they don't make design decisions
nor get involved with the technical end of the network.

ESnet is run by the University of California's Berkeley Lab under
contract to the DOE. This may sound like hair splitting, but it is
really very different from Fednets like NIPR and SIPR (and many, many
others) including the Department of Energy's own DOEnet. Note that
DOEnet is used for DOE business operations while ESnet is use support
DOE funded research.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

----
If you don't want to receive mails from the RIPE NCC Members Discuss list, please log in to your LIR Portal account at: http://lirportal.ripe.net/
First click on General and then click on Edit.
At the bottom of the Page you can add or remove addresses.