[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group

Jorge Amodio jmamodio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:08:10 UTC 2010

> But anyhow, don't get me wrong. I agree with all that has been said on
> why and how ITU is trying to get a grip on packet switched communication
> networks. My only point it that it might not be a bad idea to ponder on
> the subject of allowing competition between RIR's in the same
> geographical aerea and hence allow ITU to achieve the status of
> nationwide RIR.

That will be an extremely bad idea. ITU is aspiring to be a global RIR.

Once upon a time since the network architecture/protocols/technology
required the assignment/allocation of particular object identifiers
that must be globally unique we had Jon Postel's authoritative notepad
that later assumed the IANA name and became institutionalized as
ICANNzilla.

On the address space IANA delegates part of its authority to regional
registries and even when there are some common practices and
guidelines/policies, each registry establishes its own policies via a
bottom-up policy development process for address allocation and how to
deal with issues associated with this practice. Since there are
requirements/policies associated, each RIR indirectly acts as a soft
"regulator" by applying the terms and conditions and collecting fees.

It is not a perfect "system" and if something is wrong with a
particular RIR or policy that is what needs to be fixed, not create an
alternative channel that intends to override the existing "authority"
delegation tree by developing its own policies and trying to enforce
them through national governments telecom regulations, which imho is
what ITU is attempting to do.

Basic example (bah very stupid one), Johnny SPAM-BoTnEt on country XX
wants IP address space for his operations that in XX-land may not be
considered illegal, when service providers direct him to the
appropriate RIR there is a chance that the RIR will give a hard time
to Johnny to get his address space due the obscurity of his operations
that may be illegal in other countries within the region.

Then Johnny will go to King of XX who will call his nephew at ITU to
get the address space for poor Johnny.

Not good.

-J

----
If you don't want to receive mails from the RIPE NCC Members Discuss list, please log in to your LIR Portal account at: http://lirportal.ripe.net/
First click on General and then click on Edit.
At the bottom of the Page you can add or remove addresses.