[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 1 18:42:52 UTC 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 11:55 PM, Adam Waite wrote:

>> Hm, I was under the impression that ARPANET was a government run
>> network...
>>

> Not since 1992......what you're looking for these days is NIPRnet and SIPRnet, and ESnet, etc, etc, etc.
>
> ARPANET only lives on in reverse dns.....

Um, actually, I would say that in all of those cases, including ARPANET when it existed, you are
dealing with a government sponsored network rather than a government run network.

Generally, in each of those cases, the government provides some or all of the money to keep
the network going, but, has very little to do with dictating policy or operational aspects of the
network.

Owen