[members-discuss] Re: RIPE NCC Position On The ITU IPv6 Group (fwd)

Arjan van der Oest arjan.van.der.oest at worldmax.nl
Mon Mar 1 15:42:15 UTC 2010

CB3ROB scribbled:

> let the riots commence 2.0....

Oh dear oh dear...

>keep in mind, most telcos and ISPs (the founders and members of the
>current IANA -> RIRS -> LIRs model resulting in a global internet which
is
>hard to censor) do not agree on this ITU proposal...

I wonder who those ITU members are then? Are those all currently
non-internet-offering telco's?

> If we allow them to go forward, this WILL result in a "per country"
> easy-to-filter internet in a few years when ipv6 is the only serious
> protocol left.

/me hands CB3ROB some tinfoil and mumbles : "believers, start your
FOLDING!"

> we only need to point out how easy it was for the DDR to simply route
> all phonecalls to "the west" through a room where people monitored
> telephone conversations, and this "country specific prefix" is just
what
> the ITU seems to want for the internet.

Not comparing this to the former-DDR or Chinese situation (please refer
to my tin-foil remark above) a per-country specific prefix is not
necessarily a bad thing and may even have an upside.

> In order to accomplish that they want to create their own address
> registry, for now "secondary" to the ISP/telco run bottom-down RIR
system
> (RIPE,ARIN,APNIC,AFRINIC,APNIC) but ofcourse we can't expect it to
take
> long before repressive governments start to force "the internets" "in
> their country" to use only the ITU registry...

Why?

> now -we- can always move our office to some other country and take our
tax
> money to some other resort, not a biggie, but don't come complaining
to me
> when germany at some point uses this to build their own chinese bigass

> golden firewall with flames coming out of its ass to make it faster.

Sven, I think several less-democratic nations have already proven that
if they require total control of the internet within the boundaries of
their country (sic) they can and will implement this anyhow. They don't
require ITU nor the UN for this. They will just demand Cisco and Google
to implement it and the corporate chiefs will just answer "How soon?"...

> methods available to isps/telcos to stop this:
>
> - point out to governments that -we- own the internet

You don't 'own' the internet, at most you own the infra within your own
AS. At least you and others don't own my part of the internet :)

>their economy runs
>over it as a "courtesy" and that we can send them back to the stoneage
at
>any time we like by simply dropping 'their' traffic.

Now that is a very smart thing to say. Another reason for the UN to gain
total control... Go on, hand them more sticks.

> (considering the fact that governments themselves are not capable of
>running anything but a gray-cheese-with-a-dial telephone network

Hm, I was under the impression that ARPANET was a government run
network...

> they need us, we don't need them

If they install legislation that forbids anyone without a license to run
a telecommunications network of ANY kind, surely you need them, with or
without ITU and/or RIR's.

> Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what has your country
ever
> done for you.

Oh please Sven, let's not go there :)

> we have the biggest stick in this matter.

*bzzzz* Sorry, wrong again. The government ultimately draws the longest
straw. Always... If they want to, they will.

Now let's stop folding tin hats.

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,
Worldmax Operations B.V.

Arjan van der Oest
Network Design Engineer

T.: +31 (0) 88 001 7912
F.: +31 (0) 88 001 7902
M.: +31 (0) 6 10 62 58 46

E.: arjan.van.der.oest at worldmax.nl
W.:www.worldmax.nl
W.:www.aerea.nl
GPG: https://keyserver.pgp.com/ (Key ID: 07286F78, fingerprint: 2E9F
3AE2 0A8B 7579 75A9  169F 5D9E 5312 0728 6F78)

Internet communications are not secure; therefore, the integrity of this e-mail cannot be guaranteed following transmission on the Internet. This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail. Use of this e-mail by any person other than the addressee is strictly forbidden. This e-mail is believed to be free of any virus that might adversely affect the addressee's computer system; however, no responsibility is accepted for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. All the preceding disclaimers also apply to any possible attachments to this e-mail.